1,400-year-old cross found in Abu Dhabi

A 1,400-year-old Christian cross has been found on Sir Bani Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. The cross is about a foot long and seven inches wide and was molded on a plaque of stucco plaster. The cross plaque is intricately designed and in excellent condition, cracked but complete. It is an eight-point cross with four small eight-point crosses inside circles embedded into the four Vs of the ends and in the center where the arms intersect. It stands on a stepped base that represents the hill of Calvary

These iconographic elements — the stepped base, the leaves, the pointed ends, the complexity of the abstract tableau — are characteristic of Christian crosses in the Middle and Near East.

“Visually, every element of the plaster cross incorporates regional motifs,” Maria Gajewska, an archaeologist who leads the team on the island, told The National. “The stepped pyramid at the bottom, representing the Golgotha; the leaves sprouting from the base; the shape of the cross arms; the dots at the ends and the setting within a niche all find regional parallels in the Gulf and Mesopotamia.”

Archaeologists with the Department of Culture and Tourism discovered the plaster cross in the courtyard of an ancient house. It was face down in the soil and a fingerprint on the back of the plaque caught the eye of archaeologist Hager Al Menhali. The team turned the stucco plaque over and were stunned to see an the intricate cross.

Today Sir Bani Yas island is wildlife reserve home to oryx, gazelles and cheetahs as well as an open archaeological park, but in Late Antiquity is was home to a thriving early Christian community. A church and monastery dating to the 7th and 8th centuries A.D. were discovered there in the 1990s, identified by another cross plaque, albeit a much smaller and less elaborate one. A group of nine courtyard houses were unearthed nearby, but it was not clear whether they were associated with the monastery. The discovery of this cross confirms that the housing was indeed connected to its monastic neighbor.

It is thought senior monks may have lived in solitude in the courtyard buildings and walked across to the church for mass or other services, before returning. Another theory is that the buildings could have functioned as an ancient retreat for wealthy Christians to get away from the world – living and praying by lamplight. Ms Gajewska said blackened earth found on the ground in the buildings could indicate places where residents had lamps.

One large stone building examined this season was built using limestone and coral from the island. Ms Gajewska said the buildings were unusual because they are extremely well made, featuring thick walls to tackle the heat and cisterns for water. That is an indication of a more comfortable existence than simple hermit life.

“They could have been places where senior monks who prayed at the church lived permanently, or else where people retreated to for periods of seclusion, perhaps during Christian Lent,” she said.

The fate of the community is not known. Christian denominations in the region were riven by schisms and philosophical disputes, and their demise was accelerated with the arrival of Islam. Christian and Islamic communities did co-exist in the transitional period, and there is no evidence at the Sir Bani Yas site of a catastrophic event or conflict. The buildings were clean and tidy, not damaged or derelict. There was no rubble or decay indicative of a slow decline. It seems the residents intended to return.

Archaeologists plan to return to continue the excavation of the courtyard houses and hope to answer some questions about how the community lived and died. They will also be added to the visitor trail that marks the archaeological sites of the island.

Mausoleum modeled on Augustus’ tomb found near Lyon

An exceptional mausoleum modeled on the monumental tomb of Augustus in Rome has been unearthed in Saint-Romain-en-Gal, near Lyon. The structure is the only one of the 18 tumulus-style mausoleums found in France that is well-preserved enough to confirm that it was circular in design, like Augustus’ tomb.

Built around 50 AD, with an internal diameter of 15 m [50 feet], it had to be more than 6 m [20 feet] high to be visible to all those passing through or arriving in the Roman colony of Vienne, particularly from the Rhône River.

This shows the importance of the person whose burial place it was, “who, even in death, must still have been present in the world of the living. Most certainly a person belonging to the aristocratic elite, with an important political role and linked to imperial power,” explains Giulia Ciucci, archaeologist and scientific director of the [Gallo-Roman Museum’s] archaeological sites. The mausoleum of Saint-Romain-en-Gal was in fact built on the model of that of Augustus in Rome (27 BC-14 AD), the first Roman emperor.

The Roman city of Vienne (Colonia Julia Viennensis) was founded  in 47 B.C. by Julius Caesar, converting the Gallic oppidum into a colony for the veterans who had conquered Gaul. It was one of the earliest cities to integrate Roman military retirees and Gallic elites, and became an early example of the Romanization of Gaul. It covered an area that today comprises three adjacent towns — Vienne, Sainte-Colombe and Saint-Romainen-Gal — but all of the remains of the Roman city’s major structures, including the temple of Augustus and Livia, the odeon, the circus, public baths and the theater, are in the modern city of Vienne. Saint-Romain-en-Gal had no remains of monumental public buildings, and it wasn’t until the the 19th century that great mosaic floors emerged.

The area where the tomb was found was being excavated because the exceptional Rustic Calendar Mosaic, now on permanently display at the Gallo-Roman Museum, was discovered there in 1891. The mosaic is one of the largest and most complete depictions of agricultural labor to have survived from ancient Rome. Only two other large-scale agricultural calendar mosaics comparable to this one are known, one in El-Jem, Tunisia, the other in Zliten, Libya, and the Saint-Romain-en-Gal mosaic has the greatest number of surviving panels.

Twenty-seven of the original 40 figural panels remain, arranged in a grid-like arrangement within outer borders of black and white tiles, plant arabesques and guilloche knots outlining each of the panels. They are centered around four panels representing the seasons, with the agricultural activities grouped around the panel of the season in which they take place. This complex masterpiece adorned the floor of a luxurious domus built on the banks of the Rhone in the first quarter of the 3rd century.

The goal of this summer’s excavation was to uncover more of the mosaic’s original context which had never been documented with modern archaeological methods and technology. A team of professional archaeologists and students dug test pits and investigated the area in public view. They found the foundations of a 19th century house built on top of the semi-circular cells that surrounded the central burial chamber.

This summer’s excavation ended before the burial chamber was excavated. Work will resume next summer, and archaeologists hope they will find references to the eminent personage who had the wealth and political power to emulate the emperor himself in his funerary grandeur.

Medieval millstone-capped cesspit found at Newark Castle

Archaeologists excavating Newark Castle in Nottinghamshire have discovered a medieval cesspit covered by an old millstone. A team from Pre-Construct Archaeology are investigating the castle as it undergoes a major renovation. The cesspit was found at the outflow of the 13th/14th century garderobes (toilets that were basically niches built into castle walls with open holes over a shaft that disgorged waste into a ditch or moat).

Rebecca Nichols, a senior project manager from Pre-Construct Archaeology, which is overseeing the works, said the team were “very surprised” when they made the discovery.

Ms Nichols said the team had found a cesspit or soakaway, capped with a worn millstone but added “we’re not quite sure which one yet”.

She said the facility was “pretty standard really, what you would expect”.

“But we weren’t expecting to find anything. We thought everything had been stripped away in the 19th and 20th Century,” Ms Nichols said.

Newark Castle was first built as the palace of Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln in the first half of the 12th century. When construction began in 1123, it was an earth and timber fortification. By the end of the century, it had been rebuilt as a formidable stone castle.

King John of Magna Carta fame, brother of King Richard the Lionhearted, died at the castle in 1216 when he contracted dysentery during the First Barons’ War. He was in the middle of a campaign against the rebels barons, bouncing from Lincoln in the north, to King’s Lynn in the east (where he caught the dysentery that would kill him) then westward to Newark-on-Trent. He was hosted at Newark Castle and apparently ate so many peaches that when he died that night, the chroniclers blamed his peach binge for his death.

The castle was besieged three times by Parliamentarian forces during the English Civil War. The castle held out, but when Cromwell’s side won the war, they took their revenge on the castle by having it slighted (deliberately destroyed) in 1648. It was left a derelict shell until the mid-19th century when it was reconstructed. The city of Newark acquired the castle in 1889 and inaugurated a new garden within its walls in honor of Queen Victoria.

In 2022, the district council began working on a redevelopment of the castle that would reopen its original Romanesque gatehouse, the most complete example of its kind in England, and create five new galleries inside the castle to explain its history. They also planned to create a viewing platform at the top of the tower to give visitors the best view of the area, and improve accessibility for people with mobility devices. The Victorian garden will be getting revamped as well, with new lighting installed and new native species planted.

Renovations finally began this year, and the archaeological investigation has revealed more of the early castle remains survived than they expected to find. In addition to the cesspit, a stone retaining wall was found that is of great significance.

After assessing the stone thickness and style, it is thought that this wall is part of the earliest phase of the stone Castle (the magnificent stone structure that currently stands was probably preceded by an earth and timber castle). This discovery has reshaped our understanding of how the Castle may have looked; the ditch seems to have only partially encircled the Castle.

Man finds 3,500-year-old dagger on a walk with his kids

A man out for a walk with his family discovered a Bronze Age dagger near the village of Gudersleben in Thuringia, central Germany. It is a plate-tanged dagger from the Bronze Age and is approximately 3,500 years old.

Plate-tanged daggers are characterized by their flat tangs that widen at the top. They have two rivet holes piercing the shoulders of the tang where the handle was mounted. Handles were made of organic materials like bone, antler or wood, which is why only the blades typically survive.

Ancient dagger blades like this one don’t often emerge on their own for random passersby to find, especially in such good condition. Archaeologists speculate that heavy rains in recent days dislodged the soil that covered it and washed the dagger to the surface. Finder Maik Böhner did not attempt to recover it himself, even though it was simply sitting on top of some leaves. He reported it to the mayor and the local monuments preservation officials who then relayed the news to the Thuringian State Office for Monument Preservation and Archaeology in Weimar.

The dagger is now at the restoration workshop of the State Office in Weimar where it will be cleaned, conserved and analyzed. When conservation is complete, the artifact will go on display at the Ellrich Local History Museum.

Rare 9th c. Exeter coin goes home

The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery (RAMM) has acquired an incredibly rare Anglo-Saxon silver penny inscribed with the first known use of the city name “Exeter.” There are only three examples of this coin known to exist, and the other two are in the British Museum, so this is the only coin marking the beginning of the modern city of Exeter to return home to Exeter.

The penny was minted in Exeter around 895-899, shortly after King Alfred the Great defeated the Danes of Northumbria and East Anglia who were besieging Exeter.

On one side it proclaims AELFRED REX SAXONUM (Alfred King of the Saxons) and on the other EXA (Exeter). It marks the point where Alfred identified Exeter, alongside Winchester, as the headquarters from which to strengthen his rule as king.

Alfred’s confidence in Exeter was a turning point in the city’s fortunes after being virtually abandoned since Roman times. The city walls were repaired and new street grid, different from the Roman one, was laid out. The city evidently grew rapidly. By the year 1000 it was about the sixth most prosperous city in Britain.

This example and one of the examples in the British Museum were found in the Cuerdale Viking Silver Hoard near Preston, Lancashire, in 1840. The Cuerdale Hoard is the largest Viking silver hoard ever discovered in Britain, containing more than 8,600 objects including jewelry, ingots, hacksilver and of course, coins. Most of the coins were from the Danelaw kingdoms in eastern England, but a number of coins were from the Kingdom of Wessex, including the two Exeter pennies. (The third example was found in 1958 at Morley St Peter, Norfolk, in a hoard of pennies.)

The newly-acquired penny has been owned by private numismatists since 1844. It was last sold in 1989 when it was bought by Utica podiatrist and avid coin collector Dr. Irving Schneider. The Schneider collection was sold at auction in Zurich in May, and RAMM was able to bid for it successfully thanks to funds donated by the museum’s supporters and charitable trusts.