Tourists stumble on gold treasure in the Czech Republic

Two people on a walking tour of Zvičina Hill near the town of Dvůr Králové nad Labem in the Czech Republic discovered a trove of early 20th century gold objects including hundreds of coins, jewelry and cigarette cases. The variety of objects, their recent age and sheer quantity of gold makes it one of the most the exceptional hoard finds on the Czech archaeological record.

The tourists first spotted the a lidded metal cylinder in a stone wall on the edge of a field. The vessel contained 598 gold coins in 11 stacks wrapped in black fabric. About three feet away, they found a metal box containing an unusual combination of objects: 10 bracelets, 16 cigarette cases, an evening bag made of fine wire mesh, a comb, a chain and a powder compact. They are all crafted of a yellow metal, presumably some alloy of gold.

The finders immediately handed over the trove to the Museum of East Bohemia in Hradec Králové. The museum’s numismatist identified coins ranging in date from 1808 to 1915, most of them of French origin, with some examples from Austria-Hungary, Belgium and the Ottoman Empire and a few from Italy, Romania and Russia. The most recent date is not when they were deposited. Several of the Austria-Hungary coins have been counter-stamped, stamped with a miniature mark added to coins in the 1920s and 30s in the former Yugoslavian provinces of Serbia or Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Therefore the earliest the treasure could have been concealed is 1921, but the counter-stamps could have been added later than that, and then somehow the coins had to get to Bohemia. The location of the find on the former border between Czech and German settlements suggests the hoard may have been cached in 1938 when Nazi Germany occupied the region and forcibly removed the Czech inhabitants. Another possibility is after World War II when the German inhabitants were expelled, or during the resettlement programs of communist Czechoslovakia after 1948.

Assuming the yellow metal objects are made of gold, the total weight of the gold in the cache is seven kilos (15.4 lbs), with the coins alone accounting for 3.7 kilos (8 lbs) of the total. Based on that, current estimates of the treasure’s value is more than 7.5 million Czech crowns ($342,500). The discovery is being analyzed by the Assay Office of the Czech Republic to determine the metal composition of each object and therefore the market value of the precious metal content, but of course their historical value will exceed the simple weight. Once the entire treasure has been assessed, the finders will be legally entitled to a reward, and in this case it’s going to be a big one. By Czech law, fingers can receive either up to 100% of the market value of precious materials, or up to 10% of the historical value, depending on the final decision of the evaluation committee.

Garlanded sarcophagus found in Stratonikeia

Excavations at the ancient city of Stratonikeia in southwestern Turkey have uncovered an ornate sarcophagus carved with garlands in high relief. In a city rich with Roman sarcophagi, this is the finest example of garland decoration and one of the best-preserved ever sarcophagi found there.

Erotes with garland. Photo courtesy Andalou Agency.[Professor Bilal Sogut, head of the Stratonikeia and Lagina Excavation Team,] emphasized the liveliness of the figures surrounding the sarcophagus, explaining, “The richness, grandeur and opulence of the era from nearly 2,000 years ago can still be seen here. The plants, particularly the garlands, are beautifully and intricately crafted. The ram heads at the corners, along with the pine cones, vine, olive leaves, grapes, pomegranates and poppies depicted around them, all reflect the wealth and magnificence of the period. Even when you look at the ram heads, you can understand the wealth and splendor of that era. The bull heads on the narrow edges and in the central parts are some of the details that complete the figures.”

The sarcophagus was discovered in the Agora, the political and religious center of the ancient city, but that was not its original location. It was taken from the city’s necropolis and moved to the agora in late antiquity. The necropolis has been damaged by a lignite pit mine, so the ancient move may have saved the sarcophagus from harm or even destruction.

Evidence of human settlement in the area goes back to the Late Bronze Age (1500 B.C.), but the remains of the city as we see them today primarily date to the Hellenistic and Roman city. Stratonikeia was named after Stratonice (281–261 B.C.), the wife of its founder Antiochus I Soter. It was a member of the Chrysaorian League of important cities in the Anatolian province of Caria, and continued to flourish under the Roman Empire. Public buildings like baths, the theater, the bouleuterion (council house) and largest gymnasium in the ancient world were built in the 1st and 2nd centuries. The gymnasium was home to the top gladiator training school in the region.

Archaeologists believe there was a marble carving workshop or workshops there in the imperial era. It provided sarcophagi for local burials, and the coffins were so highly prized they were exported to clients outside of Anatolia as well. The newly-discovered sarcophagus will go on display with other sarcophagi unearthed in the ancient city.

New Vindolanda dig, new Vindolanda phallus

Spring is in the air, daffodils are in bloom, the new dig season at the Roman fort of Vindolanda has just begun and they’ve already found a phallus. It is very small and made of jet who inky blackness . It is pierced through the testicles so it could be worn as a pendant. The through hole is small, so the cord or chain it hung from was thin and likely broke.

This was a fascinus, a talisman shaped like a penis and testes believed to have apotropaic powers to protect against the evil eye cast by the envious. Phalluses were worn as good luck charms to ward off curses and misfortune, or carved onto bridges, doorways, quarries and even quern stones. As a symbol of vitality and strength, the phallus served as personal protection for the wearer of an amulet, a guardian of wealth for businesses (quarry, mills) when carved onto wall and a defense against trespassers in transitional spaces like doorways and bridges.

Amulets were often worn by children (as their parents’ most precious and vulnerable treasures, children were considered at particular risk from curses) and soldiers, whose profession put them in constant danger far from hearth and home. Graffiti and carvings of phalluses were common in military camps, and with at least 59 examples, Vindolanda boasts the most phalluses in any form of any site on Hadrian’s Wall. Phalluses have been found at Vindolanda as both graffiti and reliefs carved on walls, at entrances, on milestones, on latrines and command officers’ headquarters.

The charm was discovered in the northeastern quadrant of the fort between the military barracks and the eastern moat just outside the stone walls. This is the last area inside the walls of the fort that is still covered with grass and is believed to have been densely populated with soldiers, military staff and animals. It was unearthed from the remains of a 4th century wall.

Iron Age chariot wheel found under golf course in Scotland

Archaeologists excavating the site of a new golf course in Inverness, Scotland, have discovered the remains of a rare Iron Age chariot wheel. It is the first piece of an Iron Age chariot found in the Scottish Highlands, and one of only five chariot finds from the period made in all of Scotland.

The wheel was found in a cremation pit at the center of the a circular palisade enclosed by wooden posts. The posts are gone, but the postholes mark the spot. The wheel is believed to have been placed in the cremation pit for ceremonial purposes.

Part of the Old Petty Golf Championship Course at Castle Stuart site is in the area of the Newton of Petty Prehistoric Settlement scheduled monument, the remains of a dense concentration of roundhouses from settlement dating to around 1800 B.C. Before redevelopment, archaeologists dug evaluation trenches to investigate whether there were any significant buried remains.

Eight areas of archaeological potential were identified, including traces of at least 25 Neolithic wooden buildings that may be related to the settlement in the monument, and a prehistoric ceremonial circle. Artifacts found including a 3,500 Bronze Age cordoned cremation urn, Iron Age quern stones and flint tools.

Andy Young, principal archaeologist at Avon Archaeology Highland, said the wheel was the most important of the discoveries.

Mr Young told BBC Scotland News: “They are such a rare thing. “None of us had really seen one before in terms of physically excavating one. “We were a bit bemused.”

Mr Young said he initially thought it was a piece of equipment buried by a farmer in more recent times. “I was initially a bit dismissive,” he said.

The archaeological materials found in the excavation will be radiocarbon dated and documented. They will then be transferred to museums in Inverness and Edinburgh for conservation and display.

Medieval derelict ship found in Barcelona

The remains of a 500-year-old ship have been unearthed in downtown Barcelona. Its construction style, known as skeleton construction, dates it to the 15th or 16th century. Despite Barcelona’s long history of maritime trade, this is only the second archaeological seagoing vessel ever discovered in the city.

Dubbed Ciutadella I after its find site near Barcelona’s Ciutadella Park, it was discovered 18 feet below the soil surface. The site, slated for redevelopment, has been a public parking lot since 1996, but it was formerly the city’s fish market (1947-1983), and hundreds of years earlier was the seafront. Ciutadella I is a derelict vessel, meaning it sank close to shore or was deliberately abandoned and over time it was gradually covered with sediment.

In this case, a fragment of 10 meters [33 feet] long and more than 3 meters [10 feet] wide is preserved , with a structure formed by about thirty frames — the curved wooden pieces that make up the lateral skeleton of the ship — and at least seven planking platforms, the rows of wooden boards that covered the exterior of the ship. The boards are nailed to the frames with circular-section wooden dowels, a kind of wooden nails that served to join the pieces. Two longitudinal pieces — palmellars or serras — fixed with iron nails are also preserved. This system, known as skeleton construction, was common in the medieval Mediterranean and spread throughout Europe from the mid-15th century.

The discovery is part of a historical context of the transformation of the Barcelona seafront. From 1439, with the construction of the first artificial piers, the dynamics of the coastline were altered and the sandbar known as the Tasca, which had protected the city for centuries, disappeared. The combination of coastal drift, the mouth of the Besòs and storms caused the beach to advance rapidly, covering former marine areas.

Tradition has it that Barcelona was founded as a colony of Carthage, but there is little archaeological evidence to support that. It came to prominence in the late Roman Empire, and was an important capital of the Visigoths after their invasion in the 5th century. The Carolingian Franks wrested it from Moorish control in 801 A.D., and appointed a Count of Barcelona who ruled ever-increasing territory with little interference both before and after the city was sacked in 985 by the forces of the Umayyad caliphate of Córdoba.

Catalonia and the Kingdom of Aragon were unified by marriage in 1137, and this catapulted Barcelona into one of the foremost trading cities in the Mediterranean. It enjoyed a unique autonomy in its commercial endeavors even under while technically under the Crown of Aragon. It was granted the right to arbitrate its own commercial disputes without interference from the royal courts in 1258, and the codification of its maritime customs in the 15th century Catalan-language Book of the Consulate of the Sea would become a model for maritime legislation throughout the Mediterranean and Near East.

The first wharf in Barcelona was built in 1477. By this time, the city was a center of artisanal and manufacturing trades as well as maritime commerce. It exported goods all over Europe and the Mediterranean, including hides, olive oil, the highest quality saffron and finished textile products like silk, wool, linen and lace.

The remains of the ship are in a highly delicate, time-sensitive condition. Now that it has been exposed to air and no longer under the protection of waterlogged soil, the wood is in danger of rapid decay, so archaeologists are keeping it partially covered in sand while it is being recorded in detail using photogrammetry, thousands of high-resolution photographs that can be stitched together to make a precision 3D model.

When the fieldwork is complete, the timbers will be removed one at a time and transferred to specialized water tanks for desalination. They will then be soaked in polyethylene glycol, a preservation method that replaces the water in the wood with a waxy substance that keeps it from shrinking, drying and cracking even once it’s in the open air.