Untouched 7th c. B.C. Etruscan tomb found

A sealed, intact tomb has been discovered in an Etruscan necropolis in the town of Barbarano Romano near Viterbo, central Italy. It dates to the last phase of the Orientalizing period, at the end of the 7th century B.C.

The necropolis of San Giuliano was in use from the 7th century to the 3rd century B.C., so this tomb dates to the early years of occupation. The rock-cut chamber tomb was sealed with a massive slab covering the entrance. Archaeologists were able to raise the slab to reveal the rich funerary furnishings inside the tomb.

Upon removal of the slab sealing the burial chamber, numerous vessels appeared, many of them in fine painted pottery, traceable to the Etruscan-geometric style. These objects seem to respond to a precise ritual performed before the final closure of the tomb. A basin and several bronze ornaments for the deceased can still be distinguished in situ on the left funerary bed.

The contents are currently being meticulously documented in situ. Of particular note is a vase placed at the entrance which archaeologists believe was deposited there as a step in the funeral rituals. Every vessel will be recorded before the tomb is excavated. The stratigraphic excavation will then provide further information on the identity and social position of the deceased.

The necropolis of San Giuliano has more than 500 tombs connected to a settlement of which few traces remain. Most of the tombs have been looted, either in antiquity or by modern thieves, and intact ones are extremely rare. That makes this discovery exceptional, not only because of the archaeological materials it contains, but because of what they can tell us about funerary rituals from this early period of Etruscan culture.

Back façade of Gaudí’s Casa Batlló restored

The back façade and courtyard of Antonio Gaudí’s iconic Casa Batlló in Barcelona has been restored to its original 1906 glory. Visitors to the building will now have the opportunity to see it the way Gaudí created it for the first time in more than a century.

Originally built in the late 19th century, the building was conventional and entirely unremarkable before textile tycoon Josep Batlló engaged Gaudí to remodel it. Between 1904 and 1906, he transformed the drab Victorian into an iridescent, curvilinear structure inspired by nature (coral reefs, marine animals, bones, mushrooms) and Saint George slaying the dragon, with the roof representing the dragon’s curved back and the tiles representing its scales.

While the front façade was a fantastical showpiece of Catalonian Modernisme (Barcelona’s version of Art Nouveau), the back was a private space. The Batlló family’s dining room on the Noble Floor opened up onto courtyard. It was conceived as a vertical garden, the architectural version of a flowering climbing vine like wisteria whose branches spread over a surface and connect to each other in an explosion of colorful blooms. The undulating balconies evoke the vine motif, while the courtyard featured bespoke jardinières full of plants and a unique parabolic heather pergola to create a soft, shaded backyard for the family to enjoy.

Gaudí’s original design of the back of the building didn’t even survive unscathed for a decade. Major modifications began in 1915 when the planters and the pergola were removed, and later additions obscured the original character of the rear façade even as the front became an icon of Barcelona, a top tourist destination and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Partial restorations in the 1950s and 1990s failed to recover what was lost, and the balconies and courtyard were in need of urgent repair.

The year-long, 3.5 million euro project is the first comprehensive approach to restoring Gaudí’s original vision for the back. The trencadís, mosaics made from broken ceramic tiles, glass and stucco that are one of Gaudí’s most recognizable signatures, on the sides and crown of the façade were cleaned and repaired, as were the ones on the courtyard walls. The planters and parabolic heather pergola that covered the center of the courtyard were recreated, and the mosaic paving was replicated by craftspeople using traditional techniques. The intricate wrought iron railings, mosaic floors, carved wooden windows and French doors of the balconies have all been restored.

The interventions seem to foster a dialogue between the building’s past and present through a particular focus on materiality. Over 85,000 pieces of Nolla mosaic, originally laid at the start of the nineteenth century in the courtyard, have been restored or replicated by hand, using enhanced materials to ensure durability outdoors. The trencadís mosaics, Antoni Gaudí’s signature patchwork of ceramics and glass, were largely preserved in situ where possible, or carefully reproduced using 3D scans and high-resolution archival imagery, keeping their original patterns intact.

Ironwork, including railings and pergola structures, has been restored by Enric Pla Montferrer’s workshop in Alpens. Where previous repairs had introduced welds, the team reinstated Gaudí’s original bolted modular system that was discovered thanks to original construction markings found on site. During the restoration, the team found that even the hidden structure supporting the balconies revealed surprises, such as a spiraling system of brick and reinforced vaults, radical for its time, and undocumented until this recent intervention.

Wooden elements, from the original muntins to balcony doors, were restored or recreated by heritage carpenter Josep Bartolí. Crucially, the original hues — long buried under decades of repainting — were uncovered through stratigraphic analysis, revealing a palette that echoes the green tones of Casa Batlló’s main facade. The stucco too revealed a dramatic shift from a bold black that had faded to a warm cream, reshaping how the entire rear facade is perceived in contrast to the theatrical flourish the building is otherwise celebrated for.

The work of the traditional artisans over the course of the restoration has been documented and recorded to give visitors to the building a glimpse into the complex restoration and Gaudí’s original techniques.

Geometric mosaic floor with rare painted tiles found in France

Archaeologists have discovered a polychrome geometric mosaic floor in a Gallo-Roman home on a hill overlooking Alès in southern France. The mosaic features a crossword puzzle-like interlaced meander pattern in white and black tesserae, with rare painted accents in deep red and yellow. It dates to the 1st century B.C.

A team from France’s National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research (INRAP) is excavating the steep slopes of Hermitage hill before construction of a housing development. Since it began in February, the excavation has uncovered more than 40,000 square feet, revealing four ancient dwellings partially built into the rock and a small burial ground.

The remains of the dwellings are well preserved, attesting to the architectural features of their construction. The interior walls are covered with clay to contain water infiltration from the limestone banks they were carved into. Faint traces of wall paintings are visible on the clay coating. The water management system is enhanced by underground tile pipes on drainage layers of stone. The floors of these homes were made of limestone slabs or lime concrete over a layer of stone chippings and limestone powder.

One of the buildings, originally built of stone and beaten earth, was later remodeled with concrete paved floors decorated with mosaics. The polychrome mosaic is the central panel on the floor of a space measuring 15 x 12.5 feet.

Around this carpet, two sections composed entirely of white tesserae and devoid of patterns raise questions about the function of the room: were they alcoves or special arrangements intended to set up a bench or specific furniture? Finally, one side of the pavement has a pattern of white crosses on a black background framed in white, which could indicate the location of an opening, possibly a door leading to another room. Ongoing research aims to clarify the organization of the building and to confirm whether it was indeed a domus , a Roman urban house generally occupied by a wealthy family.

On the east side of this building, archaeologists unearthed a rainwater drainage conduit made of amphorae with their ends cut off and nested into each other.

South of the dwellings archaeologists found a burial ground with 10 graves dating to between the mid-5th century and the end of the 6th century. The deceased were buried with their heads pointed west and either in coffins or on top of wood planking. Some have a stone cover. There are no grave goods.

The new development will proceed despite the discovery of such significant archaeological material. The mosaics floor will be lifted, restored and put on display. The city government has decided to create a purpose-built exhibition area to house the mosaics permanently.

Henry VIII’s and Cromwell’s bibles reunite

Five hundred years after they were separated by political scheming and the executioner’s axe, Henry VIII’s and Thomas Cromwell’s bibles are together again. The unique, personalized copies of the Great Bible of 1539, the first authorized edition of the Bible in English, have been reunited as part of the Treasures exhibition at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.

The two matching Bibles were commissioned by Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII’s right-hand-man in governance and strong supporter of religious reform. They were printed on parchment and the black-and-white woodcut illustrations were then painted in vivid color to look like the illuminated manuscripts of old.

Cromwell had these two presentation copies made to propagandize his idea of spreading copies of the Bible in English throughout the realm to the king himself. The beautifully painted cover page depicts Henry handing out bibles to his people. Despite his break with Rome, Henry was used to Latin being the language of services and prayers, and as an anointed king and now head of the Church of England, he was not keen on democratizing the scriptures.

Cromwell managed to persuade the reluctant king, and in September 1538, the Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal Thomas Cromwell issued a royal order that every church in England and Wales buy a printed copy of the Great Bible and put it “in sum convenient place” where parishioners could access it. The first copies were on sale in April 1539. Just over a year later, Thomas Cromwell was dead, executed on a long list of spurious grounds including supporting various heresies.

All Great Bibles published after July 1540 excised his heraldic insignia on the frontispiece, and changes were made to the presentation copies as well. They are now at National Library of Wales and the other at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and have recently undergone scientific analysis and study as part of the Hidden in Plain Sight research project.

Using a range of scientific tools, from x-ray to microscopes and even DNA analysis, new light has been shed on the books, revealing some unknown histories and leading to discoveries about how the books were made and changed over time.

The project has revealed that Cromwell had his portrait painted and pasted into the title page of the St John’s copy, a move expertly hidden for centuries. The opening title page was further manipulated to gain Henry’s support, by altering an image of a courtly woman to resemble Jane Seymour, his beloved and recently deceased consort. Other discoveries are set to be revealed during the course of the exhibition. […]

Prof. Eyal Poleg, Queen Mary University of London, said: “These are two of the most important artefacts of the Tudor Court. New technologies have unearthed modifications, hidden for centuries.

“We can now appreciate how Cromwell manipulated the appearance of the Bibles as they were being printed, carefully navigating the religious and political turmoil of Henry’s court.

“The ability to see the Bibles side-by-side, for the first time in nearly 500 years, is a rare opportunity to witness first-hand this unique period.”

Rare gold coin of Byzantine emperor Justin II found in Bulgaria

A rare gold coin minted during the reign of Byzantine emperor Justin II (565-578 A.D.) has been discovered in the ancient fortress of Tuida in Sliven, southern Bulgaria. It is a light solidus minted in Theupolis (ancient Antioch in Syria, modern-day Antakya, southern Turkey), whereas the more frequently found examples of this design are full-weight solidi minted in Constantinople.

The obverse bears a helmeted and cuirassed bust of the emperor, holding Victory on a globe in his right hand and a shield with a horseman device against his left shoulder. It is inscribed DN IVSTINVS PP AVG (which stands for “Our Lord Justin, Father of the Country, Augustus”). The reverse features the personification of Constantinopole enthroned looking right, holding a long scepter in her right hand and the globus crucifer (aka, the orb and cross) in her left. It is inscribed VICTORIA AVGGG ΘS (meaning “Victory of the three emperors, Theoupolis).

The Sliven area has been settled going back 8,000 years to the Neolithic era. Archaeological remains of a Thracian settlement dating to between the 6th-3rd century B.C. were found on Hisarlaka Hill in the 1980s. The settlement was conquered by Philip of Macedon and his son Alexander the Great, and then by the Roman Republic around 72 B.C. It was absorbed into the Roman Empire’s province of Thrace, and is referred to in ancient sources as Tuida/Suida at this time. In the 4th century, a fortress was built on Hisarlaka Hill became part of Rome’s defensive Stara Planina fortification system.

The fortress was destroyed by the Huns in the 5th century but was rebuilt by Byzantine emperor Anastasius I Dicorus (r. 491-518 A.D.) with improved fortifications. Emperor Justinian I (527-565 A.D.) also expanded and rebuilt parts of the fortress and the surrounding settlement. Tuida was destroyed again in around 598 or 599 by Avars, Slavs and Proto-Bulgarians. The fortress was rebuilt again in the 9th century by the First Bulgarian Empire and new buildings erected inside the fortress complex. It remained in use until the beginning of the 13th century when Bulgaria was conquered by the Byzantines again.

The Sliven Regional Historical Museum has been excavating the site yearly since 2004 and so far has uncovered only four gold coins in total. Gold coins were much too valuable to buy stuff with. They were status symbols and investments, so the discovery of four of them in the fortress grounds are evidence that wealthy people lived there.

This season’s dig unearthed a total of 23 coins ranging in date from the 2nd century to the 13th. Most of them are bronze. Bronze coins were the main circulating currency exchanged for goods and services. The abundance of bronze coins found in the fortress are evidence of brisk trade having taken place there.

The gold coin found earlier this month was first believed to be minted by Justinian I, but after it was cleaned it was identified as the Justin II light solidus. Justinian was Justin’s uncle (and Justin’s wife Sophia was Justinian’s wife Theodora’s niece.)

Justin II was handpicked by his uncle Justinian I to succeed him to the throne. He was unable to live up to his uncle’s great success in reclaiming imperial territories in the west and east, and soon lost Italy to the Lombards, Spain to the Visigoths, and Mesopotamia, Syria and Armenia to the Persian Sasanian Empire. He did pay off the large debt his uncle’s wars had accumulated, however, and appears to have left a large amount of cash in the vaults before his mental health nosedived and his caesar Tiberius began to rule in his stead in 574 A.D.